Thursday, November 25, 2010

Life's a Bully!

There's a lot of talk these days about the dangers of bullying.  These are kids and adults who intimidate, threaten, poke fun, and who are mean spirited towards an individual who seems to be weaker.  You know the kind of person I'm talking about; you've seen it many times.

I think Life can sometimes fit into the category of being a bully.  I have felt intimidated and threatened by Life and her circumstances for me.  I suppose Life could be male, but since Life should be nurturing I'll say it's female.  And  I wonder if the millions who suffer from depression or other mental illnesses haven't been bullied by Life.

Today I was looking at a video of our family that was taken up in the mountains at Thanksgiving when Andy was just two years old.  I guess I had forgotten how sweet and adorable he was because waves of sadness, confusion, and regret washed over me.  What happened to him, to others in my family?  At that moment I determined that Life was beginning to bully me again, by making me feel bad, lacking, and worthless. 

I believe in God, and I believe He sent us here on earth, not to be bullied by Life, but to have joy.  So who is really doing the bullying?  Is it he who can't have life?  He who delights in our sorrow and frustration?  He bullies us into believing we are less than who we really are.  I suppose if someone did not believe in God or this "son of the morning" then it could be Life doing the bullying. I'm not sure I want to label Life as Satan. 

Whoever is doing the bullying, I'm not going to take it any longer.  I'm going to be strong and stand up to the taunts, the teasing, the threats, and intimidation.  I have a son going to prison because he committed a crime.  He is safe, he is paying for his bad deeds, he can begin again.  I have been blessed.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment