Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Christmas Gift

In 2005 Andy went to Hawaii with us.  I have a picture of him giving me a big hug in front of this beautiful waterfall on the Big Island.  He's not in this picture taken by me in October, 2011.

I miss him, but either I have put up a wall, blocked out that part of my life, or I feel at peace.  I'm not really sure, I just know I don't think about him in prison too often.  He is in every prayer I utter, but I don't cry very much anymore because he is serving time. Our family was given a neat gift this Christmas to help bring him back into my thoughts.  We were getting ready to sit down for Christmas dinner which was prepared and served a few days before Christmas because someone was flying out the next day.  The doorbell rang.  I answered the door, but for a few seconds didn't recognize the young man standing on the steps. Then I realized it was a kid Andy hung out with in middle school and years after.  Of course I invited him to dinner which he accepted.  We had a delightful Christmas dinner laughing and reminiscing about him and Andy.  This young man lives in Colorado and was visiting his family.

After Todd left I thought to myself, what are the chances of this happening?  Was he led by the spirit to visit us at that time on this very day? I believe he was because of the sweet thoughts and memories that were generated in my heart of my youngest son.  I am very grateful.   

1 comment:

  1. your posts brought tears to my eyes. the andy i remember was the rambunctious, smiling tween. he was a good kid. i'm sorry for your trials. i understand your grief and am impressed by your hope. the atonement is a very powerful thing and thank goodness for it.

    my brother and sister have had similar experiences in their lives - drugs, alcohol, jail, near death experiences caused by their stupidity. but their growth is amazing. my sister just welcomed home her oldest from a honorably served mission. my brother is so close to being sealed to his family.

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete