Wednesday, September 19, 2012

There's Beauty Even in Cactus!


I love this barrel cactus with many cacti growing on top of each other.  There's beauty in its uniqueness.  Andy is unique.  

We tried again to visit Andy on Saturday fully expecting something to go wrong.  We showed our ID cards, loaded the security conveyer belt with our watches, glasses, shoes, keys, etc.  The guard looked at mine and said, "I'm sorry but sandals aren't allowed inside.  You have to wear shoes with a back on them."  What?  Where did it say that?  Well, lucky for her (and for me) I had a pair of dress shoes in the car!  I hurried out to the car, put on heels with my jeans, and made it through the outer area.  Another guard who looks like Charles Barkley took us through two locked gates on the fences surrounding the prison.  A ton of barbed wire was twisted along the top of the fences as well as electric wires all around.  I must admit it was a little disconcerting.  We were then taken into a room with several tables and 4 chairs around the tables.  After waiting about 10 minutes our son walked into the room.  I hadn't seen him face to face except from a distance in court for nearly 2 1/2 years.  We hugged each other tightly and held on.  Let me clarify, I held on!  
He looks lean, clean, and peaceful.  His complexion is the best I've ever seen it.  We visited with him for about 4 hours.  I'm not sure there was ever any silent time.  He talked, and talked, and talked.  I just tried to listen to him and get to know him once again.  That's when I realized he is a unique individual and as I look back on his life, he's always been that way.  He seems to think a little differently, and he does think deeply about life.  I realized that I just need to accept who he is, not his behavior, of course, but his individuality.  

There was another big hug when we parted; what joy to spend some time with him.  And although it is difficult to visit him, my son in prison, I feel peace and comfort.  And that's a beautiful thing!

3 comments:

  1. So happy to hear this joyful news! I had no idea that you could have such a long visit. Hope it will be the first of many for you. Any idea how much longer he will have to serve?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great you got to visit with him!! I often think about Anders...I hope he is doing well.

    ReplyDelete